No doubt you have spent a lot of time and energy trying to figure out what causes your partner to behave the way he does. Listed below are some common explanations that women struggle with as they try to make sense of their partner’s behaviour.
6 myths about abusive men
- My partner has a problem with anger
- My partner lives with a lot of stress
- My partner is mentally ill
- My partner was abused as a child
- My partner is addicted to drugs or alcohol
- My partner has a different style for dealing with conflict
The truth is your partner wants to maintain power and control over you. He feels entitled to do this and this shapes all his behaviour.
(from When Love Hurts, pp. 57 -58)